CALL: 877 593 5403

FAQs for Exchange Visitors

When you’re coming to the United States as a student or exchange visitor you will have a lot of questions. Many relate to visas and visitor insurance. Which visas apply to exchange visitors and what are the visitor insurance requirements for visiting students?

A J-1 visa is for exchange visitors who are participating in an established and regulated Exchange Program approved by the State Department of the United States. These programs include college programs, flight aviation programs, research programs and medical internships.

The Department of State requires all exchange students to have an insurance policy that meets the requirements of their visa. For example, a J-1 visa holder needs a policy that provides medical benefits of at least $50,000 for each accident or illness.

The policy must include repatriation benefits, and the deductibles must not be more than $500 per incident. Exchange students should check with their place of study for specific requirements. When buying insurance, a certificate can be sent to the educational establishment as proof of coverage.

Written by

The author didnt add any Information to his profile yet