CALL: 877 593 5403

Insurance Requirements For Foreign Students

If you’re travelling to the United States to study at an American university, college or institution there are some requirements you need to get in order. Sort out the official specifications and your time in the U.S. will pass much more smoothly. One of the requirements is for adequate foreign student insurance.

When travelling on a J1 or J2 visa the Department of State requires you to have foreign student health insurance that meets the level of J1 or J2 visa requirements. For example, your J1 insurance should provide medical benefits of at least $50,000 for each accident or illness. Your policy must give at least $7,500 in benefits if you should die when studying in the U.S. and your remains need to be returned to your home country.

If you need to be evacuated because of ill health, your insurance policy needs to pay up to $10,000 in expenses. Your insurance deductible should not be above $500 per accident or illness, and you shouldn’t pay more than 25 percent of the cost as co-payment.

If you don’t comply with the insurance requirement your status as student may be revoked. Pay special attention to the small print of your insurance policy if you are a foreign student – missing the important parts out could cost you a lot of money in the long run.

Written by

The author didnt add any Information to his profile yet